Building Strong and Resilient
Leading through Mergers and
Major Organizational Changes
Developing Vision, Mission
and Results-Oriented Goals
Investing in Human Resources
Building Strong and Resilient Organizations
- Developed transition plans to move
an organization from a functional, single-focused work environment
to a cross-function team strategy which enhanced the understanding
of the business, improved customer service, and increased the speed
of service delivery.
- Created high performance teams from
executive levels through front line workers which resulted in clear
responses to the organizationís vision and mission.
- Established an improved communication
method throughout the organization which created faster response,
increased information flow and enhanced participation in a changing
- Emphasized the changing roles of workers
in our dynamic, world market economy, assisting employees to embrace
necessary changes for individual and organizational success.
- Established benchmark process which
allowed the organization to measure improvements in service delivery.
- Designed public relations plans for
a small business and nonprofit agency, including logo design, public
services announcements, news releases, brochure design, and newsletter
layout which presented a clear identity with descriptions of the services
Leading through Mergers and Major Organizational
Changes to increase enthusiasm for and commitment to the new
reality, while decreasing resistance to change.
- Analyzed an organizationís effectiveness
to prepare for the goal of doubling revenue in a two-year period by
focusing on internal capacity and expertise to identify possible business
acquisitions, and improve internal processes, resulting in a 60% revenue
increase in six months.
- Developed plans for mergers and facilitated
the transition of merging cultures by increasing commitment to and
comfort with the myriad of changes needed, while maximizing individual,
departmental and organizational success.
- Assisted an executive leadership team
to develop business plans to redefine and refocus established business
patterns, creating a more versatile approach and clearer communication
for expanded business.
- Merged four healthcare facilities
into one expanded, integrated organization to produce cost savings
and improve services for customers while, simultaneously, utilizing
the talents of employees, meeting professional development goals,
and strengthening the organization.
- Developed and expanded a more versatile
leadership team preparing for a merger which resulted in enhanced
capabilities and services.
Developing Vision, Mission and Results-Oriented
Goals to align all facets and functions of the organization.
- Led private corporations, government
agencies, and nonprofit organizations through the process of developing
and articulating vision and mission statements with corresponding
goals, setting the course for successful business strategies to align
all segments and functions of the organization.
- Facilitated a process to create departmental
and functional responses to the organizationís vision and mission,
and emphasizing customer service to align and focus the work of individuals
- Designed and facilitated retreats
which allowed the participants to accomplish their desired outcome
while enhancing teamwork, developing communication skills, and building
commitment to the organizationsí purpose and goals.
Investing in Human Resources to maximize
the potential of each employee.
- Provided management development training
for groups and individuals through coaching sessions that improved
management and leadership skills.
- Offered insights on the group dynamics
of established and new teams to improve communication and interpersonal
skills, while providing employees with tools for success.
- Developed new position descriptions
and annual review processes, including 360-degree systems, which reflect
and measure the leadership and management skills necessary in todayís
- Delivered career continuation and
job search services for Fortune 500 company employees to match employment
with individual skills and interests.
- Developed skill-based learning for
leaders at all levels of the organization. Sample learning sessions
- How and When to Coach
- Effective Communication and Leadership
Styles and Systems in Organizations
- Appreciating Different Styles
will Strengthen Your Team to Meet Your Customersí Needs
- The Benefits of Mediation and
- Characteristics of the Successful
21st Century Leader
- The Changing Roles of Workers
in Todayís Organizations
Strategic Partnerships to improve service to customers.
- Developed inter-agency, community-based
programs in the areas of alternative dispute resolution, pregnancy
prevention, and arts and culture which resulted in economies of scale,
enhanced the use of limited resources, and increased community awareness
of shared challenges.
- Designed and developed South Carolinaís
first alternative dispute resolution center, leading the state in
new services while decreasing court docket waiting time.
- Developed mediation programs and trained
youth and adult volunteers to mediate between juvenile first offenders
and their victims and peer disputes in elementary, middle and high
schools which improved victim satisfaction and decreased recidivism
- Organized, trained, and managed speakersí
bureaus which enhanced organizational marketing efforts and increased
the educational focus of the agency.
- Researched and prepared grant proposals
for community-based projects allowing new and expanded programs to
serve at-risk youth.
Enhancing Diversity to strengthen teams
- Designed retreats and professional
development programs which allowed participants to discover the value
of diversity while planning for their organization and sharpening
essential work skills.
- Established a communication group
in a major hospital to address racial discrimination concerns presented
to the administration which resulted in a permanent team to support
diversity issues that strengthened the organization and enhanced the
appreciation of all employees.
- Integrated two departmental leadership
teams, from formerly competitive organizations which led to the development
of new priorities to serve their clients, the larger department, and
the organization while using the diversity of talents and experiences
from both of the previous businesses.
- Developed a strategic planning process
which clarified mission response, while using the strengths and knowledge
of each employee.
- Mediated and facilitated conflict arising
from diverse experiences and perspectives that resulted in heightened
and focused energy for the organization.
- M.S. Human Resources and Organization Development;
The American University/NTL Institute for Applied Behavioral Science,
- B.A. English. The University of Louisville,
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator: Otto Kroeger
Associates, Fairfax, Virginia
- Conflict Management: The Alban Institute,
- Community Mediation: Durham Dispute Settlement
- Family and Divorce Mediation: Academy of
- 1991-Present SYNAPSE:
Consultants for Organizational Effectiveness; Consultant; Charleston,
South Carolina; Corpus Christi, Texas; Norfolk, Virginia; Asheville,
- 1992-1993 The Grimke
Center; Consulting Executive Director; Charleston, South Carolina
- 1989-1992 Florence
Crittenton Programs of SC; Community Educator/
Fiscal Supervisor; Charleston, South Carolina
- 1986-1989 The Finishing
Touch Gallery; Owner/operator; Summerville, South Carolina
- 1978-1987 Episcopal
Diocese of South Carolina; Consultant; Charleston, South Carolina
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- The Rotary Club of Asheville, NC (2001-Present)
- Diana Wortham Theatre: Board of Directors
- Asheville Symphony Guild: Special
Projects Chair (2001-2003)
- Leadership Asheville, Class of 2002-2003
Leadership Texas, 1996; Leadership Corpus Christi, 1995
- YWCA: TWIN committee (2001-Present)
- United Way of Hampton Roads: Allocation
- The Rotary Club of Norfolk, VA: Board
of Directors (2000-2002); Chair, Oyster Fund Raising