Building Effective and
Mission and Results-oriented Goals
Investing in Human
Developing Strategic Partnerships
Certification and Training
Professional Affiliations and
Building Effective and Resilient Organizations
- Designed and facilitated retreats which allowed the
participants to accomplish their desired outcome while enhancing teamwork,
developing communication skills, and building commitment to the organizations
purpose and goals.
- Facilitated team building activities which developed
clear team goals, created group behavioral norms, enhanced individual
interpersonal skills, and increased effective team communication.
- Guided the discussions of governing boards and their
staff to clarify the boards' role as the organizations policy makers
and creating the systems necessary to support effective policy governance.
- Assisted the staff of boards and commissions to
develop more fully their relationship with the governing body and
their role of providing information and the implications of policy
governance decisions to the board or commission.
- Created an aggressive transition plan for a bank
changing ownership which challenged assumptions regarding lost business
and led to an increase in deposits and profits.
- Created a system of one-stop employment centers
by transforming existing fragmented services into a customer-driven
system for employers and job seekers.
- Planned and facilitated the merger of two corporations,
consolidating separate urban and rural service delivery systems into
a single regional system.
- Established innovative budgeting controls to reverse
a three-year decline in agency worth resulting in a 150% increase
in net equity during a single year.
- Guided the leadership of a closely-held family business
as management responsibilities were transferred from one generation
to the next.
- Implemented a systematic approach to government
relations, which includes the contact and cultivation of key federal,
state, and local elected officials and agency executives.
Establishing Vision, Mission and Results-oriented
- Designed visioning and implementation processes used
by private and public organizations which captured the diverse hopes
and abilities of the organizations stakeholders and led to concrete
action plans with clear accountability.
- Designed and facilitated a strategic planning process
which allowed organizations to identify the impact of the past on
the present, understand current trends and their implications, analyze
the organizations strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats,
and create clear and accountable plans for the future.
- Designed and facilitated planning processes that
not only allowed the organization to discern and envision a preferred
future but also built the capacity of leadership at every level to
pursue their vision.
- Designed retreats and professional development programs
which allowed participants to discover the value of diversity while
planning for their organization and sharpening essential work skills.
- Assisted an organization stalled by tension between
racial/ethnic groups to move beyond merely tolerating diversity to
embracing it as a means to better identify and meet current and emerging
- Coordinated local participation in the Texas Alliance
for Minority Participation, an initiative between industry and education
designed to increase the number of minority students entering and
succeeding in science-related fields.
Investing in Human Resources
- Created customized professional development programs
designed to meet individual participants' needs as well as the organization's
present and future demand for leadership.
- Facilitated customer service training using the
participants' own experiences as opportunities for learning and experimentation.
- Developed and piloted an effective succession planning
process to insure stability in leadership and other key positions
within the organization.
- Provided executive coaching to leaders in the private
sector, government agencies, and non-profit organizations.
- Presented, along with the Texas State Comptroller,
training to businesses and community organizations on accessing state
contracts and funding.
- Designed and implemented a training program to enhance
the skills of university faculty members in the development of projects
and related proposals for funding.
Developing Strategic Partnerships
- Developed a marketing plan which joined the common
interests of five diverse organizations and aligned their efforts
to reach their common customer base.
- Guided the transformation of a cluster of individuals
representing competing, turf-oriented organizations to a cohesive
and collaborative group who support one another's work and goals.
- Organized a partnership between a school district,
non-profit organizations and a university to address the educational
needs of elementary and intermediate school students, resulting in
the implementation of the federally-funded Student Literacy Corps
- Facilitated a community planning process among key
stakeholders to achieve the area's environmental preservation and
- Master of Public Administration, Texas A&M University
- Corpus Christi
Bachelor of Science in Accounting, University of Houston at Clear
Certification and Training
- Certified Public Accountant, licensed in Texas
- NTL Institute for Applied Behavioral Science: certificates
in Strategic Planning & Facilitation, Organizational Diagnosis,
and Human Interaction Laboratory
- Alban Institute: Conflict Management
- 1997 to present SYNAPSE: Consultants for
Organizational Effectiveness: Consultant
- 1992-1997 Workforce Development Corporation:
President & CEO
- 1989-1992 Corpus Christi State University:
Director of Grants and Federal Relations
- 1983-1989 Houston Metropolitan Ministries:
Director of Administration and Finance
- 1982-1983 Deloitte, Haskins + Sells: Audit
Professional Affiliations and Community
- YWCA of Corpus Christi, 1998 to present: President,
First Vice President, Board of Directors, Finance Committee, Y Women
in Careers Committee, Yuletide Underwriting Committee, Fund Development
Committee, Y's Future for Kids Committee; Personnel Committee, Child
Care Strategic Planning Committee.
- Leadership Corpus Christi: Class 23, 1994-1995;
Curriculum Committee, 1997;Class 27 Steering Committee, 1998-1999;
Nominating Committee, 2000-2001; Class 30 Steering Committee.
- St. James Episcopal School: Growing in Grace Committee,
1999; Parent Education Committee, 2001.
- National Conference for Community and Justice: 1999
and 2001 Pacesetter Committees
- Texas A&M University - Corpus Christi: University
Outreach Committee, 1999 to present
- Pacific Southwest Bank Advisory Board, 1995 to 2000
- The Alban Institute: Member, 1999 to present
- Santa Fe Soccer League, 1999 to 2002: Board Secretary
and U10 girls coach, U11 girls coach
- Rotary Club of Corpus Christi: Member, 1992 to 1999;
Vocational Committee, 1994-1995.
- St. Mark's Episcopal Church, Vision Planning, 1995
- Vision 2000 Community Planning: facilitator, 1994;
Environmental Task Force Chair, 1996
- Texas Workforce Association, 1992 to 1997
- Coastal Bend Tech Prep Consortium: Board Member,
1994 to 1997
- United Way of the Coastal Bend: Allocations Panel,
1994 to 1995; Community Planning Council, 2001 to present.
- Economic Outlook Board, 1992 to 1995